Membership of the Land Workers’ Alliance is open to groups and individuals that spend a substantial amount of their occupation engaged in:
1) Individual small or medium scale food, fibre and fuel producers using organic, low impact or agro-ecological methods.
2) Community Supported Agriculture projects.
3) Agricultural workers.
4) Small – scale sustainable fisherfolk.
5) Woodland workers practicing sustainable forestry and producing local woodland products.
6) Producers who use local land based products to earn their livelihood through traditional craft or food processing.
7) Artisanal producers who in working in occupations ancillary to food, fuel and fibre production.
8) Alliances, cooperatives and constituted groups of producers and agricultural workers.
9) New entrants who are already substantially engaged in the above activities.
Why do you have Membership Criteria?
The Landworkers’ Alliance is a member of the international union of small scale producers, La Via Campesina. As a member organisation of La Via Campesina we must meet their membership criteria. As such LWA membership criteria is based on La Via Campesina membership criteria.
La Via Campesina is a representative voice of peasants and landworkers’ around the world. It is important to La Via Campesina that when this voice is taken to the corridors of power it represents an authentic struggle of people engaged in land based livelihoods. As such every member organisation of La Via Campesina must reflect this.
The Landworkers’ Alliance are proud to represent land workers in the UK in this international context. If you would like to support the work of the Landworkers’ Alliance yet do not meet the above membership criteria please do join as an invaluable supporter!